2018-04-02

The Girl (7) - Finally

After what seemed like forever, I went back with the girls. They were still laughing at everything and smoking the weed. I smiled at her. “Sorry, it seems like today's not my lucky day.”

And then something happened. About time. “Silly, of course it is, you've met me!”

I smiled harder. Yet, deep inside, hidden behind the cheerful mask, something broke. Again I fully realized what was going to happen. I managed to keep my smile and almost unconsciously wink at her, but my mind was elsewhere. A sunset sea, gleaming in the disco lights. Hiding the fact that, once the night fell, only the very Void would be left.

She dragged me back from my mind trip. “You not listening?”

“Sorry, I was thinking that you have such beautiful eyes, and I guess I got distracted by them.” Whew. That was one good lie.

“You silly, thanks! But I was telling you, we're leaving. Will you come with us?”

“Why, yes, of course. I can't possibly say no to that.” Like, literally, I thought, a stupid smirk directed at my own joke creeping into my lips, that she mistook for delight.

We went out into the definitely cold night. She said goodbye to her friends and then glared at me as if asking me to invite her over. “So... is this it?”

“Well... I guess... wait, you're cold, aren't you?” I didn't stop for an answer, I took off my jacket and gently put it over her shoulders. I wasn't exactly used to the cool weather, but behaving like a gentleman seemed to require me to get a cold. Oh, well. At least she was glistening at my gesture. “So... are you the kind of girl who gets in a car with someone you've just known? … 'Cause it's honestly too cold to walk anywhere.”

“Why, but I've known you for the whole night! I know you're a nice guy. You even managed to shake the cops off our asses!”

Again I smiled on the surface, but my heart cried. No, girl. I'm not a nice guy. Not today, anyway. Definitely not when you're just a target. But I said nothing. Just took her hand and walked her down the sidewalk. Andrei had told me before leaving that the SUV was in that direction. I quickly located it, towering over the rest of cars.

We soon got in, the girl captivated by the slightly pretentious car. I dismissed it – too used to Key's high-end sports cars. I drove us towards the city center. The streetlights shined fast past us. There was no point in stopping at the red lights at those hours of the night.

“So. This may come as an awkward question but I'm honestly curious. Won't your parents get worried if you don't go home? … I don't want to be charged with abduction.” I added jokingly.

“They don't give a shit about what I do, hon.”

Deep inside, I wished she was utterly mistaken.

It took me a while to find a decent hotel to stay at. I didn't want her to think I was a millionaire or something, but I also didn't want a crappy 10' by 15' room. A cheap suite in a downtown hotel was a fair compromise. Though she still thought it was incredibly luxurious. Poor thing.

It was long past midnight when we finally arrived at the suite. She dived into the king-sized bed, like a kid who's never been in a decent hotel before. “Wow, this is incredible! You're so nice!” She stopped to tease me. “But why a hotel? Why not take me to your place?”

“Honestly, 'cause it's a mess, 'cause I would have never imagined I'd come back with someone. Also, my bed is too small for two.” I lied. That bed was even bigger than this one. But I did not want to taint the place with tragic memories of an awful job. I sat by her side, slightly distracted. I was awfully conscious of what was about to happen. I leaned back, my mind far away from that room.