2018-04-02

The Girl (1) - Friday Afternoon

There she was. Among three other girls, all of them looking uncannily similar. Blond long hair, a skirt a bit too short considering the still cool weather, and a cute smile. Fashion, they call it. They passed me, giggling and laughing. I casually ran into her, awkwardly saying sorry. She never noticed my sly hand placing the comms chip in her pocket. I then went straight to the car, their voices echoing through my own chip. “Yes, there's a party at the club tonight, you have to come!”

“You know I...”

“Oh, come on! ...”

The four girls kept the idle chat for what seemed like forever. I sighed. Thank god the chip also had a tracker, else I'd need to follow her for too damn long. As if this file wasn't bad enough already.

I went to the car, ready to go back home. If they'd be at a party that night, then there was no point in looking for a better chance. Their voices still echoed from my comms chip. I gripped the wheel hard. Shit. I had never thought I'd be doing this. I closed my eyes only to see Andrei's in my mind. Yeah. Did I have a choice, no matter what he said? … No. No I didn't.

- - -

I had made a mistake. It became obvious that she'd changed her clothes as soon as she got home when the tracker signal didn't move at all in far too long. She was still in her room when I arrived at her place – her distant voice echoing through my comms chip told me so. I resigned myself to spend the evening staring at her door. Shit. This was worse than I had thought. … Doing the job was bad enough, but having to wait for god knows how long, thinking of what will happen? Shit indeed.

She ended getting out by 8pm, which I guess wasn't that bad. I had expected at least two more hours of madness. Once she was well past my car, I got out and discreetly followed her.

Following her and her friends to the club without them noticing was surprisingly easy, even though they took the bus. I guess teens never actually notice someone is following them unless you're really bad at it.