2020-02-23

Colombia (6) - Carmen

(sometime later)
They were all at the bar, Salvador and Kay sitting at their usual corner, simply enjoying their drinks in silence, the rest of guys here and there boasting about their wrongdoings. One conversation caught Kay’s ears.

“... that little bitch. She thinks she can get away with anything, I swear.” The man took a sip of his drink. “She tried it again, as if last time’s lesson wasn’t enough.”

“That bad, huh?”

“Yes, I found her with her hair just past her shoulders!”

The other man shook his head.

The first man sipped on his drink again. “But I’ve taught her the lesson this time. … Last time’s short bob wasn’t enough of a lesson, so this time it was a full shave. That ought to teach her."

The second man looked at the first as if he was mad, but said nothing.

Kay’s blood was almost boiling. She had to stop herself from getting up and beating him senseless -- there were too many people there to stop her. …and killing them all wasn’t an option. Not when Big Brother was Always Watching.

- - -

(next afternoon)

I almost jumped in place when someone knocked on the door to my room -- who the hell … no, wait -- who on earth had gotten in the house?

The door opened to show a… figure in military clothing. Said figure looked at me for a good second before saying anything. “Hi, Carmen, I’m … sorry for showing up like this. Figured out you wouldn’t open the door if I had simply called.”

I froze in place. A stranger had gotten into the house -- only God knew with what intentions.

The woman sat in my bed, patting her side for me to join her. “Come sit. I just want to… offer my help.” She glanced at my hair -- or rather, at the lack of it.

I broke down crying, and in an impulse, joined the stranger in a hug and started crying on her shoulder. … Help. I had only wanted a pretty haircut, something a bit more fashionable than the waist-length blunt cut my father so much loved --and don't I dare tie it up, a real woman wears her hair loose. … But he wouldn’t have it, so he decided it would be either all or nothing.

Kay simply hugged me. I could use a break, after all, she thought. … Could I take control of my life? … it didn’t matter. Things were gonna change whether I became part of it or not -- she was going to make damn sure of that.

We sat there for what felt like hours, the silence only broken by my own sobs. Then, some rattling keys made me jump in place. “Oh god he’s here, you need to go.”

Kay smiled at me. “... no. No, I’m here to help. I’m here to offer you freedom.” She offered her hand. “But I need you to be on board with this.”

I didn’t understand. … freedom? Father would come any moment and if he saw her there… not good. Not Good At All. My fears came true when the door to my room swung open. “What the hell have I told you about closing the--” he stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Kay. He took a deep breath before continuing. “Okay. Who the fuck are you and what the hell are you doing in MY house?”

Kay got on her feet and offered her hand. “Name’s Kay. I’ve… noticed you two seem to have a disagreement about what her freedoms are. I thought I could help.”

Father looked at her as if she was a lunatic --which wasn’t too far from the truth, to be honest. “And WHO exactly asked for your help? Because I don’t remember having called you!”

Seeing him like that made me crawl into a ball on the corner of the bed and sit there, completely motionless.

Kay smiled. “I don’t think I need to be asked, pa.”

Father, hearing such a disrespect, was overtaken by rage and jumped at her like a beast, fully intending to beat her up -- or worse. … He hadn’t expected her to mysteriously appear behind him and choke him, way faster than he could react. He tried to free himself, but the damned lunatic was way too strong, and soon, he passed out.

Kay pulled a syringe of Special K from the pocket in her cargo pants and gave him a shot.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from it. Injected drugs… dangerous things. Really dangerous.

Kay saw my reaction and came back to me, softly cupping my hand with hers. “It will simply put him to sleep for a couple hours. I need time, you know.”

I nodded in silence.