2020-02-21

Colombia (4) - The Captain

(sometime later)

"Hey, boss. You called?" Kay entered Salvador’s office without knocking -- she had finally figured out her new friends didn’t have that habit.

Salvador looked at her, worry showing up in his eyes.  "Yes. We have to see the new captain. I'd like you to come. Help me make sure he... understands our particular situation."

"You know I don't do politics." Kay stopped for a moment, thinking of what she had just said. "Well, given the... circumstances, guess if you give me a political target, I'll have to take care of it. But... I'd rather not have to go to a political meeting."

"Kay. I know you. I was hoping you could do your thing since my hands are tied in the legalities. But that idiot still needs to realize what he's up against."

"Well... if it's THAT kind of politics…” she smiled -- ”I guess I can ignore the fact that they're politics."

The odd couple went on their way. She looked like taken straight out of the guerrilla, and he was wearing the official police uniform. They arrived at the police’s captain's office soon after. Salvador opened the door without knocking.

A man in a suit received them. He didn't know what to make of her appearance. "Who's...?"

"She's with me, Captain. She's one of us, in fact."

The captain sighed. "Oh-kay. I'll ignore the fact that she's not wearing the official uniform -- for now. I wanted to talk about what's been happening here. I have countless reports about police assaults, excessive use of force and... god knows what else. All against seemingly random citizens. Also reports about actual criminals being freed without any explanation."

Kay stood in silence, blatantly glaring at the new captain.

The officer sighed too, choosing his words as carefully as he could. "Captain, look, I'll... I'll be honest here. There's... something going on, and I know it doesn't make any sense from the outside, but... you have to trust me on this one. This is way above our heads, things are like they are for a reason."

"I also have quite a few files linking YOU to the drug trade." The captain replied, visibly annoyed.

"Well, if you let me explain... "

The captain looked at him authoritatively "Look, all this has to end. If I receive one more report on--"

"Enough," Kay cut him off.

"Who the hell do you think you are to interrupt ME?"

She circled the captain's desk in three long steps, and in a split second grabbed his gun and pointed it at the man's head, just inches before his eyes. "I said enough."

The captain instinctively raised his arms.

"Look, this is, as Salvador said, way above your head. Things won't change. Because if they do, we're all screwed."

"Put that gun down, woman,” said the captain, trying to make his authority count.

"Or I can blow up your head and hope the next captain they appoint is less of an idiot."

"You won't..."

Kay smirked. "You know what, you're right. I hate guns." Again in a split second, she threw the gun to Salvador, drew a knife, and placed the tip against the captain's chin. "They're too damn fast. You can't do this with them." She slowly let the knife slide down the man's throat, just barely slicing into his flesh. A faint red trail was left behind the sharp tip.

The captain couldn't contain a muted scream, mixed with what sounded like age-old curse words.

"You think that's bad, Captain?" She smirked at his reaction, the knife’s edge now pressing hard on the man's throat.

"You think you can…" the Captain’s voice trailed off as the edge dug a bit into his flesh.

Kay held his stare. "Shut up. It's not what I think. It's that there's a reason for any single one of those files you talked about. Yes, we've done lots of... stuff. The kind of things that should never go public. But you see, we don't really have a choice."

The captain seemed to understand. "The authorities can protect you..."

"No. Not from this. It's not about the drug trade. I mean, those are as much pawns as we are. There's... a guy. No, I don't think you know him, he's not from here." She added, seeing the captain's surprised expression. "Well... nobody's gonna cross the devil."

"Look, I can..." He was losing the battle and he knew it.

"No, I don't want your help. Look, my job is to make sure things stay the way they are. And I'll make damn sure of that."

The captain sighed. He knew he was in a bad position. … so first thing was to get out. You can’t fight crime if you’re dead, after all. “Alright. Alright, I’ll look the other way, then.”

“LOOK at me, you idiot,” Kay replied. “You think you can lie to me?” She laughed theatrically. “No, dear, you can’t. Now, will you be a good boy and actually mean it?”

The man thought about fighting her for a second, but then the reports came to his mind. …torture was not enough of a word to describe it. …and he realized, these people would do anything. He closed his eyes, not fully believing his words, but knowing well he had no choice. “Okay. Okay, I’ll turn a blind eye, I swear.”