2020-02-29

Colombia (12) - Hope's death

Kay was on a cargo train, hiding in a crate, on her way to leave the country. I have to admit, she's always had that fighting spirit.

Most of the rest of us who had anything to do with the fires had been caught and were now starting to rot inside the local overpopulated prison. Some others hadn't been … that lucky, and had been killed on the spot.

The worst part about prison were the TVs. They were nearly everywhere, at full volume, usually showing some random instructional shit, sometimes the news, especially news about those we cared for.

This time they were showing a whole assault squad board a train, led by the Devil himself, his lapdog close behind. Many of us closed their eyes -- that man, HE was the sole reason things were as they were. I couldn't close mine. I knew what was going on -- as did many of us. I guess someone broke down and told them she was going to try to escape on a train. Why had she told us, I'll never know.

The squad soon reached the cargo compartment, all guns pointed to her crate. But no. Hers wouldn't be a quick death. We all knew that. The Devil, with his usual stupid grin, greeted her. "I know you're there, Kay. Come out, let's talk, shall we?"

We heard her curse --comms had long since been restored-- and then laugh as the crate's lid opened and she got on her feet. "Oh, wow, didn't think you'd come to kill me yourself. You make me blush, boss."

He slapped her at full force, causing her to fall sideways. "Name's Andrei."

Not bothering to get up, she laughed. "Sure, boss. Sure."

He sighed. He couldn't win that one battle apparently.

Sasha also sighed. "You brought this on yourself, you know."

She couldn't stop laughing. "Oh, my little boy finally grew up, huh? Well, you see, you didn't manage to kill me last time. So I guess you're back to try again, huh? …please, make sure you don’t' fail again. I hate being a ghost, really."

Sasha smiled as he crouched by her side. "You know. All this time, I've missed you. I've had my bouts of deep regret. … You were everything for me back then Kay."

She looked at him, still smiling. "But now you got him, who's even worse than me, so everything's alright! Come on, get it over with. I don't like being about to die, you know. I'd rather be dead already."

Sasha kissed her passionately, then paused for a moment. "But… yes. This time has also made me realize I made the right choice. … you know, I'd say I'm sorry, but I would be lying."

They both looked at each other's eyes as Sasha pulled a knife and placed the edge softly against her throat.

Kay smiled at him. She could have stopped him, but what for. No. This was it. "I know, Sandy. I know."

He smiled back at her, and with a quick movement, slit her throat open, so deep that the knife got caught in her spine. He just kept slicing at it 'till the whole head was separated from the body, then he sighed. "I won't fail this time, that's for sure."