2020-02-27

Colombia (10) - The match

They were all drinking at the bar as usual. Kay and Salvador had had a few too many drinks, and they were laughing at everything.

Kay downed her drink and looked at the bottom of the now empty glass, suddenly serious. "You know," she said, almost to herself, "I've become everything I swore to destroy."

He looked at her, too drunk to fully understand the implications in her words. "Nobody really likes the way things are, but you know we don't have a choice."

Kay looked into his eyes, her mind clearer than it had been in months. "There's ALWAYS a choice." And with that, she got up and left.

The next day, the whole network was out, comms included. When Kay arrived at the station, everyone was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Official systems were … not all that reliable, but Big Brother always watched over them all, protective. Its systems were infallible. … apparently not. Kay went straight to Salvador's office.

Him and two of his men were looking frustrated at the computer screen, which only got to say Error: Network not found every time they tried something.

"Boss, can we talk for a moment?"

"Sure, Kay. Guys, if you please…"

Kay closed the door after they exited the office. "I know what's happening."

Salvador's face lighted up for a moment before turning into a worried expression. "Wait. You don't--"

Kay had a poker expression. "Thought I'd tell you before doing anything… else. Comms are off, nobody can hear us. … Yesterday got me thinking. This… this is everything I swore to tear down. I realized, fear is stopping us from making things right."

Salvador tried his best for a poker face too, but his concern was obvious. "Kay. … You know well what happens if you fight Andrei."

"I was dead the moment I stepped in here. I'd rather actually die than live as a mindless zombie, thanks."

He sighed. "I WILL have to go after you."

She smiled. "I was afraid you'd say that." She stopped him from interrupting her. "Look, you're a good friend, Salva. I thought I'd give you a chance. … even though I did knew you don't have the balls to do what you should."

He looked at her. Her taunting would get her nowhere and she knew it. "I do have the balls to survive. To do what's necessary." He opened a drawer and pulled a gun. "Kay. You know how this works. Either you're with us, or you're a target. So please, reconsider this nonsense. Or I'll have to kill you."

Before he could finish his sentence, she was behind him, a knife on his throat. "Good luck with that." And with a swift movement, she sliced his throat.