2018-01-14

The Mission (2) - The Videos

Andrei finally broke the silence, the moment that couldn't last. "So, Sandy. Got any more questions?"

"Yeah. So... what's he done, anyway? Even if it's politics..."

"Well... life is always a bit more complicated than just sticking the politics tag onto stuff, you know. Let me..." He switched on the computer and proceeded to search for something. A video.

The target was happily toying with a stripper. It was sensual, but I couldn't see anything wrong with that. I looked at Andrei, confused. "Now that's a crime?"

He fast-forwarded almost to the ending. And I understood. Shit. It looked like a scene taken from one of our worst jobs. I had to look away as the cam focused on the aftermath, I still wasn't that used to such crude images of mangled bodies.

I looked at Andrei, taking a deep breath to try to forget what I had just seen. He proceeded to explain. "You see, this is not exactly politics... This is... well, no, you won't really do justice. He doesn't deserve a quick death, you know. But, you'll stop him from doing it again." He opened the folder again and drew a photo of the girl. "You'll put this on the body. Nobody will really know what it means... nobody but a few. For those few, it will be a day to celebrate."

And I had one of those dangerous lightbulb moments. "Andrei, okay, yeah, I can see that, but, you know. What about... The stuff with the special clients. At the clubs, I mean. How is it not the same?"

He sighed. "I see where you're going. And I guess you're half-right. But, there are two differences. First, the girls who do special clients do it because they want. They can always say no, it's not my fault if they're so greedy to take specials. And second, there are rules in my clubs. Red lines. A girl ends up in the ER, and the idiot who did it will get what he deserves. I'll make damn sure of that. So, you see... yeah, I'm not proud about the whole specials thing, but I tell you, it's totally not the same as this."

I nodded, kinda absentmindedly. The man was an expert at bending the rules - his own included. You see, lots of ... stuff happened with special clients at his night clubs. But I guess that's a story for another day.

Andrei was staring at me, amused by my reaction. "So, any more questions?"

I snapped back into reality. My ingenuity and the surprise got the best of me. "Yeah. How's prison?"

He seemed confused. "You've never been there?"

"Nope. For one reason or another... I always got away with everything."

His second of silence said it all. A hellhole. Shit. But oh man, was I wrong.

"Okay. Here's the rules. Keep your head low, don't get in trouble, I'll get you out long before anything happens. Okay?"

I looked at him. His instructions didn't make sense at all. I guess he saw my confusion.

"Sandy. You have to trust me. Don't get in trouble. A guy wants you to get out of the way, you get out of his way." He sighed hard. "Okay. You don't believe me. Well, let me... show you something."

He searched for another video. Before hitting play, he looked at me. "Sandy, word of warning, this doesn't exist. But... well, see for yourself."

About a dozen guys in uniform, brutally beating an inmate. The video ended before the beating, so you could only guess how it ended. Best case, with the guy in intensive care, I would dare say. Shit. That was way worse than I had imagined.

Andrei went on to explain. "See, the inmates aren't usually a problem. But the guards... They'll go after you at the smallest trouble you make. And, there are quite a few inmates working for them, trying hard to make you cause trouble."

I looked at him. "So, why doesn't anybody do anything about this?"

"This is high-security, Sandy. Nobody gives a shit about what happens there, most of those guys deserve it, anyway. Almost everybody has heard about it, but no one is willing to change anything."

I sighed. "Okay. I'll keep my head low, and don't get in trouble. That should do it, right?"

He let out a long sigh. "Sandy, there's also this... thing. They'll know you work for me, and... quite a few of them are there because I sent them. So... they'll want to get you."

"Shit. Okay. So, what do I do."

"Head low, don't get into trouble, and if trouble goes looking for you... Sandy, you'll have to bit your tongue and take it. Except... There's one more thing. Fights. Whatever, and I mean whatever, ... whatever you do, for all that's holy, don't get into the fights. Here, let me show you this."

He put another video. A fistfight between two guys, one of them a big-ass thug. It would haven't been shocking to see that in a bar fight. Except there were a couple dozens of guards, and even more inmates, surrounding them, most of them cheering at the big guy. Again, the vid cut before the end, but... I looked at Andrei.

"Yeah. It's to death." He looked into my eyes. "You can't possibly win, Sandy. You just can't. The price is tempting, that's why those idiots keep trying, but you have no chance of winning at all. You see, whenever they think someone could win, they rig it."

"Why haven't YOU done anything about this, Andrei."

"Told you. Nobody gives a shit. Most of those guys deserve it, that's high-security after all. Nobody's gonna do anything, Sandy, and I'm not an exception."

I couldn't help sighing at is words. Okay. Oh-kay. "How do you... know all that. Where do those came from." I pointed at the screen.

He smiled at me, winking an eye. "I don't know anything, Sandy. That said, I told you we'll be in touch. You get in a fight - I'll take you out of there, even if I have to fly you out in an helicopter. Problem is, it's about a two hour ride from here - by the time I get there, I may be too late. So, don't get into the fights, okay?"

"Okay. So... how are you gonna get me out of that hellhole?"

"I... have quite a few contacts, Sandy. I know a guy or two in there. They got me those, if you were wondering." He pointed at the screen. "They'll get you out."