2017-12-16

Monsters

"How do you destroy a monster without becoming one?"
The boy asked. Andrei would have certainly spilled his drink while chuckling, had he had one. I too struggled to contain the laughter.

"Kid, you just don't." I replied, still a smirk on my face.

He nearly froze in place. I think it was his first day in there. We were in some sort of counter-terrorist stuff, except we were not Operations - we were Detentions. Which was an euphemism for Interrogations, which still didn't really describe what happened there. The boy was there to begin his formal training, and eventually become one of us. He had no clue on anything. Guess he, as almost anyone else, fancied us the good guys. I kept speaking.

"Lemme guess, kid. You think we're the good guys, don't you?"

He stared at me, quite confused. Yeah, he thought that. They all do.

"You wanna know what we do in here, kid?" casually asked Andrei.

NOW he looked scared. Well, that's one understatement if I've ever seen one. I guess Andrei IS scary to normal people. Especially when he tries. The madman's grin on his face said it all.

"Wha-what do you... do you mean..." the boy stuttered. He'd got the hint.

You see, Andrei can be direct as hell. And he surely thinks, there's only one way of knowing what Actual Terror really means - and that's feeling it yourself. He's right, of course. I've come to think he always is.

I smiled, knowing all too well what came next. It was going to be a nice, sunny Sunday, after all.