2017-12-14

Smiles

"That's so cute. You think you're scary. But see, I've seen scary - and you ain't got his smile."
The young man smiled. He was in a rough spot indeed. Tied to a chair, no real way out, and there was this man, big as a mountain, holding a gun. A Loaded gun, Sandy corrected himself.

"You think I don't have the guts, don't you, kid?" said Mr. Mountain.

"Oh, it's not that, Mr. Not-Scary. You see, yeah, you can kill me. You probably will, if you stop thinking whether to do it or whatever. But see, I'm not afraid of that. I've seen enough not to be afraid of just dying."

"What the hell do you even mean."

"I've looked Death in the eyes a thousand times. She's an old friend at this point, you see. I guess I'm more scared of what I'm used to see, ahem, before she comes."

"I've had enough of this, kid." The old man raised his voice, "I'm just gonna..."

"Okay, go ahead. It's not like you've never seen anyone calm before, is it?"

The old man seemed confused. How could he knew? Indeed he hadn't. Normal people were terrified of just the sight of a gun, but this guy... he was as calm as a rock. And his smile. Thinking of the situation sent a chill down his spine.

"You want to know more, don't you?" casually smirked Sandy. THAT smile, again.

The man looked around. The room was gray. Not only in color, even the mood of it was Gray. Dark Gray. Empty except for a wooden chair, to which the young man was tied, no way to free himself. The man started pacing. Sandy stood in silence, waiting for the right moment to resume his overly practiced discourse. It was never really the same, and at the same time, it was always exactly the same. Sandy smiled at the thought.

"Okay," requested the old man "who the hell are you."

Sandy grinned. Again.

"And here I thought I was here for a reason. You know. For all I've done. Or at least for some of it. Normally you guys know a bit more about me."

He was polite beyond reason, considering the situation. Mr. Mountain thought he must be a madman. Sandy seemed to read his very thoughts.

"You think I'm just mad, don't you?" he smiled, this time a bit less creepily. "But, aren't all we? I mean, you're a -I think- a serial killer who just kidnaps random people and puts a bullet to their heads. You know what I think? YOU'RE a madman. I mean, what's even the point? You think they get to fear you, don't you? Well, lemme tell you, you don't know shit about fear, then. "

"Who the hell are you!!" yelled the old man, grabbing Sandy by the neck of his shirt.

Sandy just smiled and whispered in his ear:

"Guess I am what you'd like to be. But I can't really talk while suffocating, you know"

Mr. Mountain sent him flying across the room, chair and all. Sandy clenched his teeth to avoid screaming - he had seen much worse, but it didn't make it hurt any less. The man towered over him, ready to throw him flying again, but froze in place when he didn't see fear in the young's face - only that unnerving smile - and his hands. His Free hands. The rope had loosened enough in the crash for Sandy to free himself. Now that the old man had seen it, he was getting up. The man rushed for the gun, now positively scared of this young guy.

"My friend, that WAS a mistake, don't you think?" beamed Sandy, not really managing to hide the laughter on purpose.

"SHUT UP!" screamed the man, pointing his gun at Sandy.

"Oh my, but you're shaking! Why? You do have a loaded gun, and here I am, defenseless as a rock!"

"I SAID SHUT THE FUCK UP!!"

The man was losing it. Sandy knew. He had to be careful, a wrong word and... well, avoiding a flying bullet wasn't exactly easy.

"Calm down, my friend, you'll get us both hurt. You see, I can give you the very thing you've ever wanted - I can show you what fear actually is" stated Sandy as the man slowly lowered his gun, too intrigued not to listen. "But see - it all comes at a price" he smiled.

The gun dropped with a muted clank. Mr. Mountain looked in Sandy's glistening eyes. Then saw his grin, and understood, not only what a stupid mistake he had made, taking this guy after just a couple rounds at the bar, but also the price of it.