2017-12-27

Bloodlust (6) - Shattered

And so he left me alone with my thoughts. The girls. I felt sick at the thought. Even more so, knowing that I was the reason of it. That they wouldn't have to go through hell if I hadn't been here. And that I... could stop it, yet I wouldn't.

I got back into the dim room, bringing in a TV set from the main cell. I managed to show the girls room on the screen after a couple tries. There they were - helpless. Blindfolded, hands tied in their backs a tad too tight, rope a bit too thin so it would dig into the skin, their wrists sore from trying to get free.

My heart broke as I realized there was no going back. This was my decision, and I was going to live with the consequences... for better or for worse. I couldn't stop a smile from forming on my lips - on the pieces of my oh-so-very-broken soul. I felt it again. The very thing that brought me here. The bliss of sheer power.

The target froze in horror as he finally saw the TV - his family. As I turned to confront him, I saw it. On the floor, by the table, was a black briefcase. Andrei's - I just knew.

My earpiece beeped as I sighed, trying not to lose my mind again. It was him. "Guess you saw the case. Code is 379. Feel free to open it."

Shit. I knew what I would find inside. Either he was really sure of me, or he was trying hard to get me to fail. I wasn't sure of which option was worse.

I put the briefcase on the table, and dialed the code - it worked. I whistled at its contents. They made me think Andrei was trying to get me to fail. I sworn to myself that I wouldn't - and took the gun.

Mr. Target almost fainted at its sight, and started talking complete nonsense again.

I winked at him. "Too late to go back, don't you think?" I smiled, mainly to myself.

He didn't - couldn't possibly answer. I saw his eyes focus somewhere else, somewhere far away.

I went up to him, and gently grazed his temple with the barrel of the gun. He immediately came back from nowhere, almost jumping in place. He started mumbling again.

"Shut up." I said softly. "Will you at least listen?"

"Y-Yes" he stuttered.

I sat on the second chair, putting on the at-work mask without thinking twice about it. "Look, I'll be honest. I hate doing this. You don't deserve this, you know. But, work is work, and I'm sure you understand, I can't exactly say no to Andrei."

He flinched at the name, but then stared at me in confusion. Good. I could do this - I had done the same a thousand times.

I pointed the gun at him. "But, you heard him. You know too much. I've got to make sure you stay silent."

"Look. I... You don't have to do this." He pleaded, somewhat calmer. "I... I have a friend. Let me make a call, I know I have the right to make one. He'll get us both out of this."

It took me a lot and a half of self-control to not burst into laughter. I still couldn't hide a smirk. "Okay, so, let me tell you a little story, will you?"

I proceeded to tell him my own story, every tragic incident that brought me here. He kept interrupting me again and again, telling me that I was as much a victim as he was, and that I didn't have to do this - that his friend could help us.

"Will you let me finish?"

"Oh - okay. Sorry."

"So, back to today. I've told you how I have no way out, didn't I?"

"Yes, but, listen..."

"I'm not finished yet." I smiled. "Well, it's a lie. Boss just told me I can quit when I want, you see".

The man froze, his eyes locked into mine. I kept talking.

"He knows I won't. You see, I don't want a way out. I want to get so deep in, that I can't possibly get out anymore."